Nevilles sentence example
- By his marriage in 1438 to Cicely, sister of the earl of Salisbury, he allied himself to the rising family of the Nevilles.
- Edward owed his throne to his kinsmen the Nevilles, and he was content for the time to be guided by them.
- But it is not so fantastic to ascribe its birth to the personal hatred that existed between Richard of York and Edmund of Somerset, to the old family grudge (going back to 1405) between the Percies and the Nevilles, to the marriage alliance that bound the houses of York and Neville together, and to other less wellremembered quarrels or blood-ties among the lesser baronage.
- The Nevilles alone, enriched with the ~ CS.
- The Yorkist magnates who did not belong to the clan of the Nevilles were not unnaturally jealous of that house, and Edward IV.Advertisement
- For the successive attainders of the Lancastrians and the Nevilles had swept away many of the older noble families, and Edwards house of peers consisted for the main part of new men, his own partisans promoted for good service, who had not the grip on the land that their predecessors had possessed.
- But there was bitterness and mistrust between the old Lancastrian faction and the Nevilles, and Queen Margaret Restorarefused to cross to England or to trust her son in the Henry Vi.