Nephele sentence example
- Jason's uncle Athamas had two children, Phrixus and Helle, by his wife Nephele, the cloud goddess.
- But after a time he became enamoured of Ino, the daughter of Cadmus, and neglected Nephele, who disappeared in anger.
- Ino, who hated the children of Nephele, persuaded Athamas, 1 Sir James Dewar, Compt.
- But before the sacrifice the shade of Nephele appeared to Phrixus, bringing a ram with a golden fleece on which he and his sister Helle endeavoured to escape over the sea.
- The centaurs were the offspring of Ixion and Nephele (the rain-cloud), or of Kentauros (the son of these two) and some Magnesian mares or of Apollo acid Hebe.Advertisement
- Many of Homer's heroes have fairy lemans, called nymphs, fairies taken up into a higher region of poetry and religion; and the fairy leman is notable in the story of Athamas and his cloud bride Nephele, but this character is as familiar to the unpoetical Eskimo, and to the Red Indians, with their bird-bride and beaver-bride (see A.
- His first wife was Nephele, the cloud-goddess, by whom he had two children, Phrixus and Helle (see Argonauts).