Nematophycus sentence example
- It is believed, however, that the Devonian fossil, Nematophycus, is a Laminarian alga, but it is not until the late Secondary and the Tertiary formations that fossil remains of algae become frequent.
- The gigantic Nematophycus, to be described below, has been regarded as having Siphoneous affinities.
- The most striking of all fossil Algae, however, Nematophycus, may possibly be a Phaeophycean.
- The first species of the genus, Nematophycus Logani, was discovered by Dawson in 1856 in the Lower and Middle Devonian of Canada, and was described by him as a Conifer under the name of Prototaxites.
- Carruthers, however, in 1872 established its Algal nature, and gave it the more appropriate name of Nematophycus.Advertisement
- It was once regarded as connected with Nematophycus (with which it sometimes occurs in association), possibly as its fructification.
- From the Ordovician and Silurian, however, a certain number of authentic remains of Algae (among many more that are questionable) have been investigated; they are for the most part either verticillate Siphonae, or the large - possibly Laminariaceous - Algae named Nematophycus, with the problematical but perhaps allied Pachytheca.