Nejran sentence example
- Kharid, the ancient Caminacum, and Kharibat el Beda, the Nesca of Pliny, where the Sabaean army was defeated by the Romans under Aelius Gallus in 24 B.C. From El Jail Halevy travelled northward, passing the oasis of Khab, and skirting the great desert, reached the fertile district of Nejran, where he found a colony of Jews, with whom he spent several weeks in the oasis of Makhlaf.
- In the southern half, on the other hand, except in Nejran and Jauf, no European traveller has penetrated 100 m.
- Yabrin and extend far into the interior, if not to Nejran itself.
- Eastward the plateau becomes still more sterile, and its elevation probably falls more rapidly till it reaches the level of the Jauf and Nejran valleys on the borders of the desert.
- Even in remote Nejran, Halevy, himself a Jew, found a considerable colony of his co-religionists.Advertisement
- To this end he expelled the Christians from Nejran and gave them lands in Syria and Irak, where they were allowed to live in peace on payment of tribute.
- In Nejran Syrian missionaries seem to have introduced Christianity (Noldeke).
- His expedition against Christian Nejran had therefore political as well as religious motives.
- Halevy in Nejran, Von Wrede in Hadramut, and Wellsted in Oman reached its edge, though none of them actually entered it, and the guides accompanying them all concurred in describing it as uninhabitable and uncrossed by any track.