Neile sentence example
- Richard Neile, 1632-1640.
- RICHARD NEILE (1562-1640), English divine, was educated at Westminster school and at St John's College, Cambridge.
- Neile sat regularly in the courts of star-chamber and high commission.
- In 1607 he was made vicar of Stanford in Northamptonshire, and in 1608 he became chaplain to Bishop Neile, who in 1610 presented him to the living of Cuxton, when he resigned his fellowship. In 1611, in spite of the influence of Archbishop Abbot and Lord Chancellor Ellesmere, Laud was made president of St John's, and in 1614 obtained in addition the prebend of Buckden, in 1615 the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and in 1616 the deanery of Gloucester.
- On taking orders he was appointed secretary to Bishop Overall of Lichfield, and then domestic chaplain to Bishop Neile of Durham.Advertisement