Naissus sentence example
- The ancient Roman city Naissus was mentioned as an important place by Ptolemy of Alexandria.
- It was at Naissus that Constantine the Great was born in A.D.
- In the 9th century the Bulgarians became masters of Naissus, but had to cede it to the Hungarians in the iith century, from whom the Byzantine emperor Manuel I.
- In 1375 the Turks captured Naissus for the first time from the Servians.
- In the frequent wars between Austria and Turkey during the i 7th and 18th centuries the Austrians captured Naissus twice (in 1689 and 1737), but were not able to retain it long.Advertisement
- of the empire at Naissus (Nissa) in Upper Moesia.
- Pirot has a medieval fortress, believed to have been built on the site of the Roman fortress Quimedava, on the military road leading from Old Naissus to Philippopolis.
- The district called Dardania (in Upper Moesia), inhabited by the Illyrian Dardani, was formed into a special province by Diocletian with capital Naissus (Nissa or Nish), the birthplace of Constantine the Great.
- There is a small obsolete fortress on the right bank of the Nishava, believed to have been erected on the site of the Roman Naissus.
- The other followed a north-westerly course through the interior, from Constantinople by Hadrianopolis and Philippopolis to the Haemus, and thence by Naissus (Nish) through Moesia in the direction of Pannonia, taking the same route by which the railway now runs from Constantinople to Belgrade.Advertisement