Mirdites sentence example
- South of the Drin is another complex mountain system, including the highlands inhabited by the Mirdites and the Mat tribe; among the principal summits are Deia Mazzuklit, Mal-i Vels, Kraba, Toli and Mnela.
- His ambiguous conduct, however, led to the despatch of two expeditions against the Mirdites and the devastation of their territory.
- In 1880 Prenk was kidnapped by the Turkish authorities and exiled to Anatolia; another member of the ruling family was appointed kaimakam, but the Mirdites refused to obey him, and their district has ever since been in a state of anarchy.
- The Mirdites are exclusively Roman Catholic, the Mat-i exclusively Moslem.
- At the head of the Roman Catholic hierarchy are the archbishops of Scutari (with three suffragans), Prizren and Durazzo; the mitred abbot of St Alexander is the spiritual chief of the Mirdites.Advertisement
- The Mirdites consequently refused to contribute their customary contingent to the Turkish army, and eventually Prenk was restored.