Miramon sentence example
- The latter were at first presided over by Zuloaga, who, proving incompetent, was replaced at the end of 1858 by Pezuela, who early in 1859 gave place to Miguel Miramon, a young, able and unscrupulous soldier who was shortly afterwards accepted as " constitutional " president by his party.
- The Juarists were defeated outside the city of Mexico twice, in October 1858 and on the nth of April 1859, On the second occasion the whole body of officers, who had surrendered, were shot with Miramon's authority, if not by his express orders, together with several surgeons (including one Englishman, Dr Duval) (the fifty-three " martyrs of Tacubaya ").
- At last, on the 17th of November 1860, Miramon, under the plea of necessity, seized $630,000 in specie which had been left under seal at the British Legation and was intended for the bondholders.
- Jecker had failed early in 1860, Miramon was overthrown a few months later.
- Here, with Miramon, he was besieged by the Juarists under Escobedo, and the garrison, when about to make a last attempt to break out, was betrayed 2 by Colonel Lopez to the besiegers (May 15, 1867).Advertisement