Militum sentence example
- In 385 he was appointed master of the soldiery (magister militum) in Thrace, and shortly afterwards directed energetic campaigns in Britain against Picts, Scots and Saxons, and along the Rhine against other barbarians.
- The civil government was carried on by consulares or praesides, while the military government was in the hands of four duces militum, who made strenuous efforts to drive out the barbarians.
- The other provinces were governed by dukes and magistri militum, titles which were generally, but not always, borne by the same person.
- Under Constantine the institution of the magistri militum deprived the praetorian prefecture altogether of its military character, but left it the highest civil office of the empire.
- He was likewise elected first of the six tribuni militum a populo, but we hear nothing of his service in this capacity.Advertisement
- The amir Abul-afar became a Roman vassal, and, like Alaric of old, became magister militum in the Roman army.
- The emperor Zeno enacted that no one could become patricius who had not been praejectus militum, consul or magister militum, but less careful emperors gave the title to their favourites, however young and undistinguished.