Mezen sentence example
- The Mezen enters the Bay of Mezen; it is navigable for 450 m., and is the channel of a considerable export of timber.
- The exact number of the Ostiak Samoyedes is not known; the Tavghi Samoyedes may number about woo, and the Yuraks, mixed with the former, are estimated at 6000 in Obdorsk (about 150 settled), 5000 in European Russia in the tundras of the Mezen, and about 350 in Yeniseisk.
- His life was spared owing to the supplications of his cousin Boris, but he was deprived of his boyardom, his estates were confiscated and he was banished successively to Kargopol, Mezen and Kologora, where he died on the 21st of April 1714.
- Gold is found in the districts of Kola, naphtha and salt in those of Kern and Pinega, and lignite in Mezen.
- The government is divided into nine districts, the chief towns of which areAlexandrovsk or Kola (pop. 300), Archangel, Kem (1825), Kholmogory (1465), Mezen (2040), Novaya-Zemlya (island), Pechora, Pinega (1000) and Shenkursk (1308).Advertisement
- The rivers (Tuloma, Onega, Dvina, Mezen and Pechora) are closed in September and scarcely thaw before July.