Meudon sentence example
- In 1875 he was appointed director of the new astrophysical observatory established by the French government at Meudon, and set on foot there in 1876 the remarkable series of solar photographs collected in his great Atlas de photographies solaires (1904).
- The first volume of the Annales de l'observatoire de Meudon was published by him in 1896.
- He died at the chÃ¢teau of Meudon on the 17th of February 1659.
- Such work has been in progress both at Mount Wilson and at Meudon, and the erection of a spectroheliograph of 75 ft.
- Thus Rabelais was able to return to France, and in 1550 was presented to the livings of Meudon and St Christophe de Jambet.Advertisement
- It may, however, surprise those who have been accustomed to hear him spoken of as "cure de Meudon," and who have read lives of him founded on legend, to find that there is very little ground for believing that he ever officiated or resided there.
- To this supposed residence at Meudon and to the previous stay at Rome, however, are attached two of the most mischievous items of the legend, though fortunately two of the most easily refutable.
- It is said that Rabelais met and quarrelled with Joachim du Bellay the poet at Rome, and with Ronsard at Meudon and elsewhere, that this caused a breach between him and the Pleiade, that he satirized its classicizing tendencies in the episode of the Limousin scholar, and that Ronsard after his death avenged himself by a libellous epitaph.
- Flour-milling, The château of Meudon, belonging to the Sanguin family, was handed over to the duchesse d'Etampes in 1539.
- He died at the chÃƒ¢teau of Meudon on the 17th of February 1659.Advertisement
- Flour-milling, The chÃ¢teau of Meudon, belonging to the Sanguin family, was handed over to the duchesse d'Etampes in 1539.