Metretes sentence example
- Thus foot, digit, palm, cubit, stadium, mile, talent, mina, stater, drachm, obol, pound, ounce, grain, metretes, medimrius, modius, hin and many others mean nothing exact unless qualified by the name of their country or city.
- A large number of their statements are rough (2, 18, 33), being based on the working equivalence of the bath or epha with the Attic metretes, from which are sometimes drawn fractional statements which seem more accurate than they are.
- By the theory of the metretes being 1.5 talents Aeginetan, the cotyle would be 23.3 to 24.7 cub.
- By the theory (18) of 2 metretes = cube of the 18.67 cubit from the 12.45 foot, the cotyle would be about 25.4, within 0.4; but then such a cubit is unknown among measures, and not likely to be formed, as 12.4 is (3/5)ths of 20.6.
- It is supposed that the Panathenaic vases were intended as metretes; this would show a cotyle of 14.4-17.1.Advertisement
- The theories of connexion give, for the value of the cotyle, metretes = Aeginetan talent --
- In Ptolemaic times the artaba (2336.), modified from the Persian, was general in Egypt, a working equivalent to the Attic metretes -- value 2 apet or 1/2 tama; medimnus=tama or 2 artabas, and fractions down to 1/400 artaba (35).