Mers-el-kebir sentence example
- The Spaniards took Mers-el-Kebir (1505), Oran (1509), and Bougie and Tripoli (151o).
- In the end, the only towns the Spaniards retained on the Algerian coast were Oran and Mers-el-Kebir.
- Four miles west of Oran a small promontory forms the harbour of Mers-el-Kebir, formerly a stronghold of the Barbary pirates.
- A road along the east coast, cut for the most part out of the solid rock, connects Oran and Mers-el-Kebir.
- Attempts have been made to identify Oran with the Quiza, and Mers-el-Kebir with the Portus Magnus, of the Romans.Advertisement
- There are, however, no Roman ruins at Oran or at Mers-el-Kebir.
- Under the influence of these refugees the legitimate trade of the town gave place to piracy, Mers-el-Kebir becoming the stronghold of the pirates.
- Mers-el-Kebir fell into their hands on the 23rd of October 1505, and Oran in May 1509.