Mermnad sentence example
- The Pamphylians are first mentioned among the nations subdued by the Mermnad kings of Lydia, and afterwards passed in succession under the dominion of the Persian and Macedonian monarchs.
- Gyges, the first Mermnad king of Lydia (687-653), had a Phrygian mother.
- Under the later Mermnad kings the Lydian empire was penetrated with Greek influence, and Xanthus, the early Lydian historian, wrote his history in Greek.
- When the Mermnad kings raised the Lydian power and aggressiveness Smyrna was one of the first points of attack.
- This event may be referred to the middle of the 7th century B.C. About 700 B.C. Gyges, first Mermnad king of Lydia, invaded the territories of Smyrna and Miletus, and is said to have taken Colophon as his son Ardys did Priene.Advertisement