Mercurius sentence example
- The patriotic journalist C. C. Gjorwell established about twenty literary periodicals of which the most important was the Swenska Mercurius (1755-1789).
- He seems to have performed the same not very honourable office in the case of two other journals - Dormer's Letter and the Mercurius Politicus; and to have written in these and other papers until nearly the end of his life.
- Originally two in number, mythologically the sons of Mercurius and Lara (or Larunda), they were the presiding deities of the cross-roads (compita), where they had their special chapels.
- Certain elements of the story point to Arthur as a culture hero; as such his name has been identified with the Mercurius Artaius of the Gauls.
- By the Romans he was identified at an early date with Mercurius, whence our name "Wednesday" (Woden's day) as a translation of dies Mercurii.Advertisement
- Tacitus states that the ancient Germans worshipped Mercurius more than any other god, and that they offered him human sacrifices.
- Its tribal deity, the god of the mountain, the Puy de Dome, rechristened in Roman phrase Mercurius Dumias, was famous far beyond its territory.
- Doubtless the merchants practised their religious ceremonies from the first, but their god Mercurius was not officially recognized by the state till the year 495 B.C. Rome frequently suffered from scarcity of grain during the unsettled times that followed the expulsion of the Tarquins.
- Roger Bacon - or more probably some one who usurped his name - declared that with a certain amount of the philosopher's stone he could transmute a million times as much base metal into gold, and on Raimon Lull was fathered the boast, " Mare tingerem si mercurius esset."