Menou sentence example
- The great canal was not begun; irrigation works were started but were soon given up. The letters of Kleber and Menou (the successors of Bonaparte) show that the expenditure on public works had been so reckless that the colony was virtually bankrupt at the time of Bonaparte's departure; and William Hamilton, who travelled through Egypt in 1802, found few traces, other than military, of the French occupation.
- The battle of Alexandria, fought on the 21st of March of that year, between the French army under General Menou and the British expeditionary corps under Sir Ralph Abercromby, took place near the ruins of Nicopolis, on the narrow spit of land between the sea and Lake Aboukir, along which the British of troops had advanced towards Alexandria after the actions of Aboukir on the 8th and Mandora on the 13th.
- Menou sent him away from Egypt, and on his passage he was captured by an English cruiser and taken to London, where he had a good reception among the Whigs and was well received by Fox.
- Abercromby, effected a landing at Aboukir, and proceeded to invest Alexandria, where on the 2 fst they were attacked by Menou; the French were repulsed, but the English French commander was mortally wounded in the action.
- On the 3oth of August, Menou at Alexandria was compelled to accept similar conditions, and his force of 10,000 left for Europe in September.Advertisement