Menedemus sentence example
- Cicero's evidence is the less valuable in that he always assumed that Menedemus was a follower of the Megarians.
- Among his followers were Menedemus and Asclepiades, the leaders of the Eretrian school of philosophy.
- Eretria was the birthplace of the tragedian Achaeus and of the "Megarian" philosopher Menedemus.
- A few well-turned lines which have been preserved from Lycophron's tragedies show a much better style; they are said to have been much admired by Menedemus of Eretria, although the poet had ridiculed him in a satyric drama.
- It existed for a very short time and was then transferred by Menedemus to Eretria, where it became known as the Eretrian school.Advertisement
- Its chief members, beside Phaedo, were Anchipylus, Moschus and Pleistanus (see Phaedo and Menedemus).
- In 339, Aristotle being then in Macedonia, Xenocrates succeeded Speusippus in the presidency of the school, defeating his competitors Menedemus and Heracleides by a few votes.