Mendota sentence example
- It has a picturesque situation in what is known as "the Four-Lakes region"; this region takes its name from a chain of lakes, Kegonsa, Waubesa, Monona and Mendota, which, lying in the order named and connected with one another by the Yahara or Catfish River, form the head-waters of Rock river flowing southward through Illinois into the Mississippi.
- The city occupies a hilly isthmus about a mile wide between Lakes Mendota and Monona, bodies of water of great clearness and beauty, with bottoms of white sand and granite.
- Running directly west from the capitol is State Street, at the western end of which lie the grounds of the university of Wisconsin, occupying a hilly wooded tract of 300 acres, and extending for a mile along the south shore of Lake Mendota.
- North of the city, occupying a tract of 500 acres, on Lake Mendota, are the buildings and grounds of the state hospital for the insane, opened in 1860.
- There are several parks of great beauty, and along the shores of Lake Mendota there is a broad boulevarded drive of 12 m.Advertisement
- Prehistoric earthworks are to be seen in the neighbourhood, several animal-shaped mounds upon the shores of Lakes Mendota, Monona and Waubesa being among the best examples.
- A regular trading post is known to have been established on Lake Mendota as early as 1820.
- In 1832 the "FourLakes" country was in the theatre of hostilities during the Black Hawk War; Colonel Henry Dodge held a conference with Winnebago chiefs on Lake Mendota, and there were several skirmishes in the neighbourhood between his troops and the followers of Black Hawk, one of which took place on the site of Madison.