Mayen sentence example
- The Atlantic anticyclone is, therefore, at its weakest in winter, and on its polar side the polar eddy becomes a trough of low pressure, extending roughly from Labrador to Iceland and Jan Mayen, and traversed by a constant succession of cyclones.
- It is bounded on the east by the North Atlantic, the Norwegian and Greenland Seas-Jan Mayen, Iceland, the Faeroe Islands and the Shetlands being the only lands between it and Norway.
- The present name of the island is derived from this, the claim of its discovery by a Dutch navigator, Jan Mayen, in 1611, being unsupportable.
- The Jan Mayen data refer really to GÃ¶ttingen mean time, but this was only twenty-three minutes late on local time.
- The influence of daylight is presumably the principal cause of the difference between the phenomena during November, December and January at Cape Thorsden and Jan Mayen, for in the equinoctial months the results from these two stations are closely similar.Advertisement
- Taking the whole winter, the percentage seen in the evening was the same for the " Belgica " as for Jan Mayen, i.e.
- The same phenomenon appears at Jan Mayen especially in November, December and January, and it is the normal state of matters in temperate latitudes, where the frequency is usually greatest between 8 and io P.M.
- In 1882-1883 the direction of motion of arcs was from north to south in 62% of the cases at Jan Mayen, and in 58% of the cases at Cape Thorsden.
- At Jan Mayen (8) in 1882-1883 a scale was employed running from 1, taken as corresponding to the brightness of the milky way, to 4, corresponding to full moonlight.
- Movements to the east were twice as numerous at Jan Mayen and thrice as numerous at Traurenberg as movements to the west.Advertisement
- Having been a Roman settlement, Mayen became a town in 1291.
- The Jan Mayen data refer really to GÃƒ¶ttingen mean time, but this was only twenty-three minutes late on local time.