Mavra sentence example
- The former housekeeper, old Mavra Kuzminichna, had stepped out of the crowd by the gate, gone up to a cart with a hood constructed of bast mats, and was speaking to a pale young officer who lay inside.
- With a slight inclination of her head, Natasha stepped back quickly to Mavra Kuzminichna, who stood talking compassionately to the officer.
- She and Mavra Kuzminichna tried to get as many of the wounded as possible into their yard.
- That night another wounded man was driven down the Povarskaya, and Mavra Kuzminichna, who was standing at the gate, had him brought into the Rostovs' yard.
- Mavra Kuzminichna concluded that he was a very important man.Advertisement
- Come in, said Mavra Kuzminichna.
- The old servant returned to the caleche, looked into it, shook his head disconsolately, told the driver to turn into the yard, and stopped beside Mavra Kuzminichna.
- Then the count embraced Mavra Kuzminichna and Vasilich, who were to remain in Moscow, and while they caught at his hand and kissed his shoulder he patted their backs lightly with some vaguely affectionate and comforting words.
- Mavra Kuzminichna flicked the dust off the clavichord and closed it, and with a deep sigh left the drawing room and locked its main door.
- Mavra Kuzminichna went to the gate.Advertisement
- Mavra Kuzminichna opened the gate and an officer of eighteen, with the round face of a Rostov, entered the yard.
- Went away yesterday at vespertime, said Mavra Kuzminichna cordially.
- Meanwhile, Mavra Kuzminichna was attentively and sympathetically examining the familiar Rostov features of the young man's face, his tattered coat and trodden-down boots.
- Mavra Kuzminichna did not let him finish.
- Mavra Kuzminichna grew abashed and confused.Advertisement
- Mavra Kuzminichna went on apologetically.