Massoretes sentence example
- In vowel-sounds Syriac is clearly more primitive than Hebrew (as pointed by the Massoretes), less so than Arabic. Thus Ar.
- More important are those passages in which the Massoretes have definitely adopted a variation from the consonantal text.
- They do not point to any critical editing of the text; for the aim of the Massoretes was essentially conservative.
- The inevitable result of such a system must have been the fixing of an officially recognized text, which could scarcely have differed materially from that which was finally adopted by the Massoretes.
- For textual purposes the Vulgate possesses but little value, since it presupposes a Hebrew original practically identical with the text stereotyped by the Massoretes.Advertisement