Mariette sentence example
- One of the chief monuments is the Serapeum or sepulchre of the Apis bulls, discovered by Mariette in 1851.
- Tavernier and Mariette, and in many instances he mentioned the authors whose maps he copied.
- Mariette's excavation of the Serapeum at Memphis revealed the tombs of over sixty animals, ranging from the time of Amenophis III.
- After completing his university course and visiting foreign museums he was sent to Egypt by the Prussian government in 1853, and contracted an intimate friendship with Mariette.
- From this post he was unceremoniously dismissed in 1879 by the European controllers of the public revenues, determined to economize at all hazards; and French influence prevented his succeeding his friend Mariette at the Bulaq Museum in 1883.Advertisement
- The abbe handed them over to a bookseller named Mariette, who resold part of them to Baron Hohendorf.
- Meanwhile his cousin Nestor L'Hote, the friend and fellow-traveller of Champollion, died, and upon Mariette devolved the task of sorting the papers of the deceased savant.
- Mariette was raised successively to the rank of bey and pasha in his own service.
- See "Notice biographique," by Maspero in Auguste Mariette.
- The museum of Egyptian antiquities was founded at Bulak in 1863, being then housed in a mosque, by the French savant Auguste Mariette.Advertisement
- A statue of Mariette was unveiled in 1904.
- A new period was opened in Egyptian exploration in 1858 when Mariette was appointed director of archaeological works In Egypt, his duties being to safeguard the monuments and prevent their exploitation by dealers.
- Mariette, who was appointed by the viceroy Said Pasha at the instance of the French government, succeeded in making his office effective and permanent, in spite of political intrigues and the whims of an Oriental ruler; he also secured a building on the island of Bulak (Bulaq) for a viceregal museum in which the results of his explorations could be permanently housed.
- The sculptures have been mostly published in hand copy, not facsimile, by Mariette in his Abydos, i.
- A local gymkhana, which Mariette wins, proves to be the final catalyst.Advertisement
- Such scholars as Lepsius, Brugsch, de Rouge, Lenormant, Birch, Mariette, Maspero and Erman have perfected the studies of Young and Champollion; while at the same time these and a considerable company of other explorers, most notable of whom are Gardner Wilkinson and Professor Flinders Petrie, have brought to light a vast accumulation of new material, much of which has the highest importance from the standpoint of the historian.
- Released in 1962, Ride the High Country stars Joel McCrea, Randolph Scott and Mariette Hartley.