Marienbad sentence example
- Marienbad is enclosed on all sides except the south by gently sloping hills clad with fragrant pine forests, which are intersected by lovely walks.
- Amongst the places of interest round Marienbad is the basaltic rock of Podhorn (2776 ft.), situated about 3 m.
- To the north-east of Marienbad lies the small watering-place of KOnigswart; near it is a castle belonging since 1618 to the princes of Metternich, which contains an interesting museum, created by the famous Austrian statesman in the first part of the 19th century.
- Marienbad is among the youngest of the Bohemian wateringplaces, although its springs were known from of old.
- The place obtained its actual name of Marienbad in 1808; became a watering-place in 1818, and received its charter as a town in 1868.Advertisement
- Carlsbad (Karlovy Vary), and Marienbad (Marif nske Lazne), are famous spas.
- The sulphate is the chief constituent of Marienbad and Carlsbad waters.
- In 1822 a passion for a young girl, Ulrike von Levetzow, whom he met at Marienbad, inspired the fine Trilogie der Leidenschaft, and between 1821 and 1829 appeared the long-expected and long-promised continuation of Wilhelm Meister, Wilhelm Meisters Wanderjahre.
- Amongst other places having a similar action are Marienbad, Franzensbad and Tarasp. The waters just mentioned contain free alkali as well as sulphates, and are employed more especially in cases of hepatic disorder, such as congestion of the liver, jaundice, gall-stone and diabetes.
- These mud-baths are chiefly employed at Marienbad, Franzensbad and Homburg.Advertisement
- Among them are some of the most celebrated mineral springs in the world, such as Carlsbad, Marienbad, Franzensbad, Teplitz-Schtinau and Bilin.
- A few peat-baths, as the Ludwigsbad and the Marienbad, are in the neighbourhood of Leopoldskron.
- Franzensbad is frequently resorted to as an after-cure by patients from Carlsbad and Marienbad.
- The most important are, the alkaline springs of Carlsbad, Marienbad, Franzensbad and Bilin; the alkaline acidulated waters of Giesshiibel, largely used as table waters; the iron springs of Marienbad, Franzensbad and of Pyrawarth in Lower Austria; the bitter waters of Piillna, Saidschitz and Sedlitz; the saline waters of Ischl and of Aussee in Styria; the iodine waters of Hall in Upper Austria; the different waters of Gastein; and lastly the thermal waters of Teplitz-SchOnau, Johannisbad, and of Rcmerbad in Styria.
- Hiroshima mon amour (Hiroshima my Love, 1959) and Marienbad would be the other two connecting points in this triangle.Advertisement