Marico sentence example
- It was founded in 1868 and is the chief town of the Marico district, one of the most fertile regions of South Africa.
- The Marico Valley was occupied early in the 19th century by Matabele, who had come from Zululand.
- To Boer cultivation the valley of the Marico river owes its fertility.
- Compared with other formations they occupy restricted areas, being only met with south of Johannesburg, around Wolmaransstad, Lichtenburg and east of Marico.
- In the Marico district the shales become highly ferruginous and resemble the Hospital Hill slates of the Witwatersrand series.Advertisement
- The ostrich is found in the Marico and Limpopo districts, and more rarely elsewhere; the great kori bustard and the koorhaan are common.
- Goldfields also exist in the Waterberg and on the western frontier in the Marico district (the Malmani fields).
- Oranges are cultivated chiefly in the Rustenburg, Waterberg, Zoutpansberg and Pretoria districts, grapes in Potchefstroom, Pretoria and Marico, as well as in the Zoutpansberg and Waterberg, to which northern regions the cultivation of the banana is confined.
- The Vaal drains the greater part of the plateau, flowing westward towards the Atlantic. The waters of the northern escarpments of the plateau and of all the region farther north are carried to the Indian Ocean by the Limpopo (q.v.) and its tributaries the Olifants, Great Marico, Great Letaba, &c. Both the Vaal and the Limpopo in their main course have high steep banks.