Mareotis sentence example
- Their headquarters there were on Lake Mareotis, which at that time debouched into the sea.
- - The city is built on the strip of land which separates the Mediterranean from Lake Mareotis (Mariut), and on a T-shaped peninsula which forms harbours east and west.
- Behind it (according to the Alexandrian treatise, known as pseudo-Callisthenes) were five native villages scattered along the strip between Lake Mareotis and the sea.
- The Lakes.The lagoons or lakes of the Delta, going from wesi to east, are Mareotis (Maritit), Edku, Burlus and Menzala.
- Mareotis, which bounds Alexandria on the south side, varies considerably in A 3r B area according to the rise or fall Nile is low ____ _______Advertisement
- Mareotis was found to .s..8~rHodker: ~
- Mareotis has no outlet, and the water is kept at a uniform level by means of powerful pumps which neutralize the effect of the Nile flood.
- Like all the Delta lakes, Mareotis abounds in wild-fowl.
- North-east of Mareotis was Lake Aboukir, a small sheet of water, now dry, lying S.W.
- The salt obtained from Lake Mareotis at Meks, a western suburb of Alexandria, supplies the salt needed for the country, except a small quantity used for curing fish at Lake Menzala; while the lakes in the Wadi Natron, 45 m.Advertisement
- Mehemet Ali and al-Bardisi therefore descended to Rosetta, which had fallen into the hands of a brother of All Pasha, and having captured the town and its commander, alBardisi purposed to proceed against Alexandria; but the troops demanded arrears of pay which it was not in his power to give, and the pasha had cut the dyke between the lakes of Aboukir and Mareotis, thus rendering the approach to Aleicandria more difficult.