Maree sentence example
- 181, 184 (who refers to the tree-worship taken over by St Maree and St Etto).
- Its name - of which Maroy and Mourie are older variants - does not, as is often supposed, commemorate the Virgin, but St Maelrubha, who came from Bangor in Ireland in 671 and founded a monastery at Applecross and a chapel (now in ruins) on Isle Maree.
- Lochs Lomond, Katrine and Lubnaig in the southern Highlands, and Lochs Maree and More in the north, are conspicuous examples.
- The parish covers a large district on the coast, and stretches inland beyond the farther banks of Loch Maree, the whole of which lies within its bounds.
- Scottish Natural Heritage have commissioned him to do a thorough toponymic survey of the Beinn Eighe and the Loch Maree Islands National Nature Reserves.Advertisement