Marchienne sentence example
- The orders for the French advance next day, among the finest ever issued, directed that the army should march at dawn and move to the Sambre at Marchienne and Charleroi.
- Zieten's outposts on the right bank of the Sambre gained still further time, for they fought stubbornly to retard the French advance on Marchienne and Charleroi.
- When the French left wing and centre reached the Sambre bridges, at Marchienne and Charleroi, they found them held and strongly barricaded, and the cavalry were powerless to force the passage.
- Almost at the same time Reille forced the passage at Marchienne.
- The defenders of Marchienne used the former, while the brigade which had held Charleroi fell back by the latter.Advertisement
- The Army of the North on this night was disposed as follows: - The left wing stretched from Frasnes back to the Sambre at Marchienne and Thuin.