Maranos sentence example
- Maranos, fleeing to the Netherlands, were welcomed; the immigrants were wealthy, enterprising and cultured.
- These " New Christians " or " Maranos," as they were called, were forbidden to leave the country between 1498 and 1507.
- It was in fact largely due to the Maranos that the Spanish Inquisition was founded.
- Maranos emigrated to various countries, but many remained in the Peninsula.
- The Jewish community in London was refounded by Maranos in the first half of the 17th century.Advertisement
- Hamburg commerce, too, owed much to the enterprise of Portuguese Maranos.
- In Amsterdam many Maranos found asylum; Spinoza was descended from such a family.