Mangasha sentence example
- In common with other northern princes, Mangasha, reputed son and heir of King John, with the yelloweyed Ras Alula, 3 refused to acknowledge the sovereignty of Menelek; but, on the latter marching against them in the following January with a large army, they submitted.
- In consequence of this the Italians occupied Asmara, made friends with Mangasha and received Ras Makonnen, 1 Menelek's nephew, as his plenipotentiary in Italy.
- As, however, the Italians became more and more friendly with Mangasha and Tigre the apprehensions of Menelek increased, till at last, in February 1893, he wrote denouncing the Uccialli treaty, which differed in the Italian and Amharic versions.
- On his return Baratieri found that Mangasha was intriguing with the dervishes, and had actually crossed the frontier with a large army.
- At Koatit and Senafe (13th to 15th January 1895) Mangasha was met and heavily defeated by Baratieri, who occupied Adrigat in March.Advertisement
- Menelek was advancing with a large army in national support of Mangasha, and the subsequent reverses at Amba Alagi (7th December 1895) and Macalle (23rd January 1896) forced the Italians to fall back.
- In the same year Menelek proceeded northwards with a large army for the purpose of chastising Mangasha, who was again rebelling against his authority.
- After some trifling fighting Mangasha submitted, and Ras Makonnen despatched a force to subdue Beni Shangul, the chief of which gold country, Wad Tur el Guri, was showing signs of disaffection.
- Ras Makonnen, the most capable and civilized of Menelek's probable successors, died in March 1906, and Mangasha died later in the same year; the question of the succession therefore opened up the possibility that, in spite of recent civilizing influences, Abyssinia might still relapse in the future into its old state of conflict.