Mangash sentence example
- His death gave rise to an Abyssinian war of succession between Mangash, natural son of John, and Menelek, grandson of the Negus Sella-Sellassi.
- In the colony itself General Baldissera, who had replaced General Saletta, delayed the movement against Mangash desired by Menelek.
- Mangash, seeing further resistance to be useless, submitted to Menelek, who at the end of February ratified at Makall the additional convention to the treaty of Uccialli, but refused to recognize the Italian occupation of the Mareb.
- The Italian government, however, neglected this opening, and Mangash came to terms with Menelek.
- Bath-Agos, the native chieftain who ruled the Okul-Kusai and the cis-Mareb provinces on behalf of Italy, intrigued with Mangash, ras of the trans-Mareb province of Tigr, and with Menelek, to raise a revolt against Italian rule on the high plateau.Advertisement
- General Baratieri~ having reason to suspect the complicity of Mangash in the revolt, called upon him to furnish troops for a projected Italo-Abyssinian campaign against the Mahdists.
- Mangash thereupon took the offensive and attempted to occupy the village of Coatit in Okul-Kusai, but was forestalled and defeated by Baratieri on the 13th of January 1895.
- Hurriedly retreating to Senaf, hard pressed by the Italians, who shelled Senaf on the evening of the 15th of January, Mangashh was obliged to abandon his camp and provisions to Baratieri, who also secured a quantity of correspondence establishing the complicity of Menelek and Mangash in the revolt of Bath-Agos.
- The comparatively facile success achieved by Baratieri against Mangash seems to have led him to undervalue his enemy, and to forget that Menelek, negus and king conques~
- By adroit negotiations with Mangash the Italian general obtained the release of the Italian prisoners in Tigr, and towards the end of May withdrew his whole force north of the Mareb.Advertisement