Makarov sentence example
- Immediately to the south of Nares Deep lies the smaller Makarov Deep; and off the coast of South America are Tizard Deep and Havergal Deep.
- 3 For a time, when in place of Admiral Starck (who was held responsible for the surprise of February), Admiral Makarov, an officer of European reputation, commanded the fleet, this lethargy was shaken off.
- But afloat, had Makarov survived, it would have been played to the end, and Togo's fleet would have been steadily used up. One day, indeed (May 15th), two of Japan's largest battleships, the " Hatsume " and the " Yashima," came in contact with free mines and were sunk.
- The Russian sailors said, when Makarov's fate was made known, " It is not the loss of a battleship. The Japanese are welcome to two of them.
- Not only the skill, but the force of character required for playing with fire, was wanting to Makarov's successors.Advertisement
- Admiral Vitheft, Makarov's successor, had put to battle sea shortly after the appearance of the 3rd Army on the
- Chemulpo under the eyes of the Russian cruiser " Variag," and next day he attacked and destroyed the Variag " and some smaller war-vessels in the harbour, and the rest of the 1st Army (General Kuroki) was gradually brought over during February and March, in spite of an unbeaten and, under Makarov's regime, an enterprising hostile navy.