Majoris sentence example
- It is from John Mair's Historia Majoris Britanniae tam Angliae quam Scotiae, which appeared in 1521 "Circa haec tempora [Ricardi Primi], ut auguror, Robertus Hudus Anglus et Parvus Joannes latrones famatissimi in nemoribus latuerunt, solum opulentorum virorum bona deripientes.
- In the Latin translation of Boetius, in which alone the Isagoge was then known, the sentence runs as follows: " Mox de generibus et speciebus illud quidem sive subsistant, sive in solis nudis intellectibus posita sint, sive subsistentia corporalia sint an incorporalia, et utrum separata a sensibilibus an in sensibilibus posita et circa haec consistentia, dicere recusabo; altissimum enim negotium est hujusmodi et majoris egens inquisitionis."
- Ursae majoris is perhaps the best known double star in the northern hemisphere, the larger component is itself a spectroscopic double.
- 97 Ursae majoris is of the planetary type; the earl of Rosse observed two spiral condensations turning in opposite directions, - hence its name, - the " Owl nebula."
- John Gerson, the foremost theologian of France, wrote a manual of instructions (still extant) for the first of his tutors, Jean Majoris, a canon of Reims. His second tutor, Bernard of Armagnac, was noted for his piety and humility.Advertisement
- Several double stars were observed during the 17th century, Ursae Majoris being the first on record.
- (1334-1342) they were classed as de Parco majori or Praesidentiae majoris, and de Parco minori.