Mahon sentence example
- There are five judicial districts (partidos judiciales), named after their chief towns - Inca, Iviza, Manacor, Palma and Port Mahon.
- Of these cities, Port Mahon, the most important, still retains the name which is derived from the family of Mago.
- In the War of the Spanish Succession all the islands declared for Charles; the duke of Anjou had no footing anywhere save in the citadel of Mahon.
- Minorca was reduced by Count Villars in 1707; but it was not till June 1715 that Majorca was subjugated, and meanwhile Port Mahon was captured by the English under General Stanhope in 1708.
- In 1713 the island was secured to them by the peace of Utrecht; but in 1756 it was invaded by a force of 12,000 French, who, after defeating the British under Admiral Byng, captured Port Mahon.Advertisement
- English works of importance are Lord Mahon's History of England, vol.
- Port Mahon is situated on the east.
- Mahon is one of the principal quarantine stations of Spain; the lazaretto, erected between 1798 and 1803, stands on a long tongue of land, separated from La Mola by the inlet of Cala Taulera.
- The British, who under James Stanhope, afterwards Earl Stanhope, seized the island in 1708, made Mahon a flourishing city, and in 1718 declared it a free port.
- The recent political mission to Seistan under Sir Henry M c Mahon (1904-1905) added much information respecting the ancient and modern channels of the lower Helmund, proving that river to have been constantly shifting its bed over a vast area, changing the level of the country by silt deposits, and in conjunction with the terrific action of Seistan winds actually altering its configuration.Advertisement
- Richard Burke was elected in his father's place at Mahon.
- He left two sons, Mathgamain (Mahon) and Brian, called Brian Boruma, probably from a village near Killaloe.'
- In 1711 the French man-of-war the Toulouse was sighted by two English ships that were returning to Port Mahon in the Mediterranean.
- Seminal zombie shocker from B-movie baron Barry Mahon (" Cuban Rebel Girls ") stars Monica Davis and John MacKay.
- Derek Mahon has provided a new translation of almost unremitting ugliness.Advertisement
- In addition, Cllr Jimmy Mahon has been appointed the new vice-chairman of the Fire Authority.