Mahdis sentence example
- The Mahdis son succeeded in taking Alexandria, and advancing as far as the Favflm: but once more the Abbasid caliph sent a powerful army to assist his viceroy, and the invaders were driven out of the country and pursued as far as Barca; the Fatimite caliph, however, continued to maintain active propaganda in Egypt.
- In 919 Alexandria was again seized by the Mahdis son, afterwards the caliph al-Q~im, and while his forces advanced northward as far as Tishmunain (Eshmunain) he was reinforced by a fleet which arrived at Alexandria.
- The latter, judging from the tenor of some of his telegrams, believed that to accomplish this work entailed the suppression of the mahdis revolt, the strength of which he at first greatly underestimated.
- Darfur and Kordofan.On the outbreak of the mahdis rebellion Slatin Bey was governor of the province, and when Madibbo, the insurgent sheikh of Rizighat, attacked and occupied Shakka and was following up his success, Slatin twice severely defeated him, and, having concentrated his forces at El Fasher, repulsed the enemy again at Om Shanga.
- In 1881 a fanatic sheikhknown as the mahdihad headed an insurrection against the khedives authority; and towards the close of 1883 an Egyptian army under an Englishman, Colonel Hicks, was annihilated by the mahdis followers.Advertisement
- The British expedition to Suakin was engaged in a series of battles with Osman Digna, the mahdis lieutenant; while General Gordon, after alternate reverses and successes, was isolated at Ofl~ Khartum.