Maguires sentence example
- A large portion was occupied by the Guarii, the ancestors of the MacGuires or Maguires, a name still common in the district.
- The Irish society of Molly Maguires seems to have been organized in 1843 in the barony of Farney, Co.
- The Molly Maguires of Pennsylvania consisted of similar classes of Irishmen, but there seems to have been no connexion between the two societies.
- Gowen (1836-1889), president of the Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company, sent James McParlan, an Irish Catholic and a Pinkerton detective (who some thirty years later attracted attention in the investigation of the assassination of Governor Steunenberg of Idaho), to the mining region in 1873; he joined the order, lived among the "Molly Maguires" for more than two years, and even became secretary of the Shenandoah division, one of the most notoriously criminal lodges of the order.
- Between 1869 and 1875 the Molly Maguires were active here.Advertisement
- An organized association, known as the Molly Maguires, terrorized the mining regions for many years, but was finally suppressed through the courageous efforts of President Franklin, Benjamin Gowen (1863-1889) of the Philadelphia & Reading railroad with the assistance of Allan Pinkerton and his detectives.
- A family quarrel ensued, and when Hugh Dubh appealed for aid against his son to the Maguires, Manus made an alliance with the O'Neills, by whose assistance he established his hold over Tyrconnel.
- Since the Union we have had the Threshers, the Terry Alts, the Molly Maguires, the Rockites, and many others.