Magruder sentence example
- After the surrender of the armies of Lee and Johnston in April 1865, President Davis attempted to make his way, through Georgia, across the Mississippi, in the vain hope of continuing the war with the forces of Generals Smith and Magruder.
- McClellan's advance was opposed by a small force of Confederates under General Magruder, which, gradually reinforced, held the historic position of Yorktown for a whole month, and only evacuated it on the 3rd of May.
- Lee's army consisted of 40 brigades and 59 batteries organized in eleven divisions and an independent brigade four divisions were grouped under Jackson and three under Magruder.
- Lee 's other divisions under Magruder, Huger and Holmes were to defend the lines which covered Richmond from the east, and so prevent McClellan effecting a counterstroke.
- On this day Magruder with two divisions attacked superior forces about Fair Oaks and was repulsed, and again attacked at Savage Station with like results.Advertisement
- General Lee, however, rebuked Magruder for slackness in pursuit.
- Magruder and Holmes were engaged to their own advantage at Turkey Bridge.
- Hill's division had been drawn again into the main operation and followed the Federal line of retreat to Malvern Hill with Huger and Magruder on their right.
- The station's first keeper was Theophilus Magruder from 1856 through 1875.