Magistrat sentence example
- The system which obtains in all the old Prussian provinces (with the exception of Rugen and Vorpommern or Hither Pomerania) and in Westphalia is that of Stein, modified by subsequent laws notably those of 1853 and 1856which gave the state a greater influence, while extending the powers of the Magistrat.
- Where the magisterial constitution prevails, the members of the Magistrat, i.e.
- They are elected for from three to six years; the members of the Magistrat are chosen for six, nine or twelve years, sometimes even for life.
- The police are under the control of the Magistrat, except in certain large cities, where they are under a separate state department.
- Collot d'Herbois wrote and adapted from the English and Spanish many plays, one of which, Le Paysan magistrat, kept the stage for several years.Advertisement
- The civil authority (Magistrat) consists of a chief mayor (Oberbiergermeister), a mayor (Biirgermeister), and a city council (Stadtrat).
- For general work the Magistrat and the Stadtverordnetenversammlung coalesce, and committees are appointed for various purposes out of the whole body, these being usually presided over by members of the Magistrat.