Macleans sentence example
- The Macleans, Macnaughtons, Maclachlans, Lamonts, and other ancient races had sunk before this favoured family.
- They aggrandized themselves at the expense of the Macleans, Macdonalds, Camerons and Clan Chattan, but their sway was far from being peaceful and orderly.
- Montrose arrived a day too late for Marston Moor (2nd of July 1644); Rupert took his contingent; he entered Scotland in disguise, met the ill-armed Irish levies under Colkitto, raised the Gordons and Ogilvies, who supplied his cavalry, raised the fighting Macdonalds, Camerons and Macleans; in six pitched battles he routed Argyll and all the Covenanting warriors of Scotland, and then, deserted by Colkitto and the Gordons, and surprised by Leslie's cavalry withdrawn from England, was defeated at Philiphaugh near Selkirk, while men and women of his Irish contingent were shot or hanged months after the battle.
- Here for the first time the highlanders were under heavy fire of grape and roundshot, to which they could not reply, and though the right wing and centre, Camerons, Atholl men, Macleans, Clan Chattan, Appin Stewarts, under Lord George and Lochiel, fought with even more than their usual gallantry and resolution, the Macdonalds on the left, discouraged by the death of Keppoch, Scotus and other officers in the advance, never came to the shock.
- The castle was burned by the Macleans in 1644, in the interest of the marquess of Montrose, and not again restored.Advertisement
- The Castle was again besieged for 3 days by the MacLeans of Mull.
- In fact, in 2009, Macleans named Guelph one of Canada's smartest cities due to the fact that residents took part in above average rates of continuing education, cultural activities and volunteerism.