Low-growing sentence example
- In the dry, saline regions of the west and north-west, where the rainfall is slight, there are large thickets of low-growing, thorny bushes, poor in foliage.
- The coast and tide-water rivers are fringed with mangrove, and the sandy plain reaching back to the margin of the inland plateau is generally bare of vegetation, though the carnahuba palm (Copernicia cerifera) and some species of low-growing trees are to be found in many places.
- The great mass of the vegetation, however, is of the low-growing type (maquis or garrigue of the western Mediterranean), with small and stiff leaves, and frequently thorny and aromatic, as for example the ilex (Quercus coccifera), Smilax, Cistus, Lentiscus, Calycotome, &c. (2) Next comes, from 1600 to 6500 ft., the mountain region, which may also be called the forest region, still exhibiting sparse woods and isolated trees wherever shelter, moisture and the inhabitants have permitted their growth.
- Indeed, any low-growing herbaceous plant, susceptible of minute division, is suitable for an edging.
- Carpet Bedding consists in covering the surface of a bed, or a series of beds forming a design, with close, low-growing plants, in which certain figures are brought out by means of plants of a different habit or having different coloured leaves.Advertisement
- For this reason proposals have been made to plant in the place of weeds low-growing leguminous plants, the growth of which will not only prevent impoverishment and loss of soil during the rains and conserve moisture in the heat, but will also have the effect of enriching the soil in nitrogenous constituents through the power leguminous plants possess of absorbing nitrogen from the air through nodules on their roots.
- From the fleches they rode still farther to the left, along a road winding through a thick, low-growing birch wood.
- Where dunes are fairly stable ranker grasses and scrub species might seed in, shading out some of the more interesting low-growing vegetation.
- In the late summer, these low-growing shrubs produce juicy blueberries ripe for the picking.
- At the time of flowering the foliage is often withered, and to hide the nakedness of the stems it is sometimes best planted among other low-growing plants.Advertisement
- They include trees, shrubs, and low-growing species that are often planted as groundcovers.
- Calceolaria Plantaginea - A low-growing plant spreading by means of short side growths; the leaves, formed in rosettes, are broadly ovate, with toothed margins and attain a considerable size in moist positions.
- The vine is noninvasive and hardy, producing delicate pink flowers on low-growing, hollow stems.