Loango sentence example
- Buali, the capital, was situated on the banks of a small river not far from the port of Loango, where were several European "factories."
- The celebrated ape "Mafuka," which lived in the Dresden zoological gardens during 1875, and came from Loango, was apparently a member of this species, although it was at one time regarded as a hybrid between a chimpanzee and a gorilla.
- In Loango a prince's cap is put upon the head of a dead leopard, and dances are held in its honour.
- Southern or Lower Guinea comprises the coasts of Gabun and Loango (known also as French Congo) and the Portuguese possessions on the south-west coast, and Northern or Upper Guinea stretches from the river Casamance to and inclusive of the Niger delta, Cameroon occupying a middle position.
- Of the various names by which the divisions of Lower Guinea were known, Loango was applied to the country south of the Gabun and north of the Congo river.Advertisement
- Farther west are the tribes of Angola, many of whom were included within the old " Congo empire," of which the kingdom of Loango was an offshoot.
- At one time included in the "kingdom of Congo" (see Angola, History), Loango became independent about the close of the 16th century, and was still of considerable importance in the middle of the 18th century.
- The Loango coast is now divided between French Congo and the Portuguese district of Kabinda (see those articles).