Loanda sentence example
- Rocks of Tertiary age are met with at Dombe Grande, Mossamedes and near Loanda.
- The mean annual temperature at Sao Salvador do Congo is 72.5° F.; at Loanda, 74.3 0; and at Caconda, 67.2°.
- The chief towns are Sao Paulo de Loanda, the capital, Kabinda, Benguella and Mossamedes.
- Novo Redondo and Egito are small ports between Loanda and Benguella.
- The railway from Loanda to Ambaca and Malanje is known as the Royal Trans-African railway.Advertisement
- The administration of the province is carried on under a governor-general, resident at Loanda, who acts under the direction of the ministry of the colonies at Lisbon.
- In 1627 the bishop's seat was removed to Sao Paulo de Loanda and Sao Salvador declined in importance.
- The city of Loanda was founded in 1576, Benguella in 1617.
- On the 4th of April the Kwango was crossed, and on the 31st of May the town of Loanda was entered, Livingstone, however, being all but dead from fever, semi-starvation and dysentery.
- From Loanda Livingstone sent his astronomical observations to Sir Thomas Maclear at the Cape, and an account of his journey to the Royal Geographical Society, which in May 18J5 awarded him its patron's medal.Advertisement
- Loanda was left on the 10th of September 1854, but Livingstone lingered long about the Portuguese settlements.
- Cables connect the colony with Europe (1) via Loanda and Bathurst, (2) via St Helena, Ascension and St Vincent; with Europe and Asia (3) via Natal, Zanzibar and Aden, and with Australia (4) via Natal, Mauritius and Cocos.
- Loanda (Sao Paolo de Loanda), the capital, had 18,000 inhabitants, of whom a third were whites.
- There was nevertheless an increase in cocoa plantations, chiefly in the Kabinda enclave; coffee, though gathered mainly from wild plants, was also cultivated in the Loanda hinterland and other areas.
- In northern Angola the railway (metre gauge) from Loanda was carried to Malanje (375 m.) and was bought in July 1918 by the Portuguese Government.Advertisement
- Near Loanda Livingstone noted that " a chief may metamorphose himself into a lion, kill any one he chooses, and resume his proper form."
- (from the river Congo to the river Loje), corresponding roughly with the limits of the "kingdom of Congo" (see History below); Loanda, which includes Angola in the most restricted sense mentioned above; Benguella and Mossamedes to the south.
- The mean annual temperature at Sao Salvador do Congo is 72.5Ã‚° F.; at Loanda, 74.3 0; and at Caconda, 67.2Ã‚°.