Llyn sentence example
- The name means "warm place of the wood," according to Llyn's definition of bettors.
- In the park is Llyn du (black pool), whence Welshpool is said to be named.
- Llyn pen rhaiadr (the waterfall-head pool), or Pistyll y llyn (pool spout), is some 6 m.
- The place is a centre for artists, geologists and botanists, for the ascent of Snowdon, Moel Siabod, Glydyr Fawr, Glydyr Fach, Tryfan, &c., and for visiting Llyn Ogwen, Llyn Idwal, Twll du (Devil's Kitchen), Nant Ffrancon and the Penrhyn quarries.
- In the east of the county, at the foot of the Black Forest Mountains, is Llyn Safaddan, or Brecknock, Mere, now more generally known as Llangorse Lake (from being partly situated in the parish of that name).Advertisement
- The lake (Llyn Tegid) is crossed by the Dee, local tradition having it that the waters of the two never mix, like those of Alpheus and the sea.
- - Small lakes, such as Llyn Ogwen, Llyn Safaddan (Llangorse Lake), Talyllyn, the Teifi Pools, &c., are fairly numerous in the mountainous districts, but the only natural lake of importance is Bala Lake, or Llyn Tegid, in Merionethshire, 4 m.
- Nant Colwyn is on the road from Carnarvon to Beddgelert, beyond Llyn y gader (gadair), "chair pool," and what tourists have fancifully called Pitt's head, a roadside rock resembling, or thought to resemble, the great statesman's profile.
- Near this is Llyn y dywarchen (sod pool), with a floating island.
- The valley has two lakes, Llyn Penis and Llyn Padarn, of over 1 m.Advertisement