Litaniae sentence example
- Here we need only mention the litaniae which are stated by Usener ("Alte Bittgange," in Zeller, Philosophische Aufsatze, p. 278 seq.) to have been first instituted by Pope Liberius (352-366).
- The litaniae minores or rogations, held on the three days preceding Ascension Day, were first introduced into Gaul by Bishop Mamertus of Vienne (c. 470), and made binding for all Gaul by the ist Council of Orleans (51 I).
- The litaniae minores were also adopted for these three days in Rome by Leo III.
- (2) Processiones ordinariae, on yearly festivals, such as the feast of the Purification of the Virgin (Candlemass, q.v.), the procession on Palm Sunday, the Litaniae majores and minores, the feast of Corpus Christi, and on other days, according to the custom of the churches.
- At the litaniae majores and minores and other penitential processions, joyful hymns are not allowed, but the litanies are sung, and, if the length of the procession requires, the penitential and gradual psalms.Advertisement