Liheap sentence example
- To apply for LIHEAP, visit your state's LIHEAP state grantee.
- If you're struggling with high utility bills, consider completing LIHEAP applications to get the help you need to deal with your energy costs.
- The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a resource for helping people to afford their high heating bills in the winter months.
- According to the program Web site, 2/3rds of families receiving assistance from LIHEAP have incomes of less than $8,000 per year.
- States receive funds for LIHEAP assistance in the form of a block grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.Advertisement
- In some areas, LIHEAP grant funds are supplemented by donations from groups such as the Salvation Army and other community non-profits.
- Income guidelines for LIHEAP applications are generally based on the federal poverty level, with most states requiring that participants make less than 150 percent of the federal poverty level to qualify.
- The LIHEAP Clearinghouse provides contact information for people interested in receiving LIHEAP assistance.
- Since funds are limited for LIHEAP, please keep in mind that not all eligible participants may receive help from the program.
- In 2006, for example, experts estimate that only 15 percent of all eligible households were able to receive LIHEAP assistance.Advertisement
- In areas with high immigrant populations, LIHEAP applications may be available in both English and Spanish.
- While LIHEAP can be a helpful tool in dealing with home energy costs, it is not the only resource available.
- The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may be able to provide assistance with utility bills if you are unable to keep your home heated during the winter months.