Letourneur sentence example
- The persons chosen were Rewbell, Barras, La Revelliere Lepeaux, Carnot and Letourneur.
- Letourneur, a harmless insignificant person, was his admirer and follower.
- Rewbell, Barras and La Revelliere Lepeaux had a full measure of the Jacobin spirit; Carnot and Letourneur favoured a more temperate policy.
- Among the directors the lot fell on Letourneur to retire, and he was succeeded by Barthelemy, an eminent diplomatist, who allied himself with Carnot.
- Finally, there was no real government on the part of the five directors: La Rvellire-Lpeaux, an honest man but weak; Reubell, the negotiator of the Hague; Letourneur, an officer of talent; Barras, a man of intrigue, corrupt and without real convictions; and Carnot, the only really worthy member.Advertisement
- The Director Letourneur had been replaced by Barthlemy, who had negotiated the treaty of Basel and was a constitutional monarchist.