Lemoyne sentence example
- The first European settlement in Mississippi was founded in 1699 by Pierre Lemoyne, better known as Iberville, at Fort Maurepas (Old Biloxi) on the north side of Biloxi Bay, in what is now Harrison county.
- The Onondaga salt deposits were mentioned in the journal of the French Jesuit Lemoyne as early as 1653, and before the War of Independence the Indians marketed Onondaga salt at Albany and Quebec. In 1788 the state undertook, by treaty with the Onondaga Indians, to care for the salt springs and manage them for the benefit of both the whites and the Indians.
- LeMoyne, and the chairs of Greek and of Latin were endowed by the Rev. C. C. Beatty with $60,000.
- At the LeMoyne crematory established here by Dr Francis Julius LeMoyne,' on the 6th of December 1876, took place the first public cremation in the United States; the body burned was that of Baron Joseph Henry Louis de Palm (1809-1876), a Bavarian nobleman who had emigrated to the United States in 1862 and had been active in the Theosophical Society in New York.
- 1 LeMoyne (1798-1879) was the son of a French refugee, and was an ardent abolitionist.Advertisement
- Largely through LeMoyne s influence Washington became an important point on the "underground railway" for assisting runaway slaves to Canada.