Lemaitre sentence example
- Of George Sand's style a foreigner can be but an imperfect judge, but French critics, from Sainte-Beuve, Nisard and Caro down to Jules Lemaitre and Faguet, have agreed to praise her spontaneity, her correctness of diction, her easy opulence - the lactea ubertas that Quintilian attributes to Livy.
- Brunetiere, Faguet, Lemaitre, &c., and in the more substantive work of Ch.
- True, the principles of Bonald, Lemaitre, Lamennais and Lacordaire, were not carried through in the French Church without opposition; but, about the year 1850, they had become predominant there.
- Lemaitre, Fenelon(1910).
- Jules Lemaitre, a less sympathetic critic, finds in the extraordinary crimes of his heroes and heroines, his reactionary views, his dandyism and snobbery, an exaggerated Byronism.Advertisement
- See also Alcide Dusolier, Jules Barbey d'Aurevilly (1862), a collection of eulogies and interviews; Paul Bourget, Preface to d'Aurevilly's Memoranda (1883); Jules Lemaitre, Les Contemporains; Eugene Grele, Barbey d'Aurevilly, sa vie et son oeuvre (1902); Rene Doumic, in the Revue des deux mondes (Sept.
- Brunetiere, Faguet and Lemaitre and the part appurtenant of M.
- Lemaitre, Corneille et la poetique d'Aristote (1888); J.
- Of the numerous shorter studies may be mentioned those of SainteBeuve in the Causeries du lundi and in Portraits contemporains; Jules Lemaitre in Les Contemporains, vol.