Lelegian sentence example
- The thoroughly national character of Heracles is shown by his being the mythical ancestor of the Dorian dynastic tribe, while revered by Ionian Athens, Lelegian Opus and Aeolo-Phoenician Thebes, and closely associated with the Achaean heroes Peleus and Telamon.
- Alcaeus (7th-6th centuries B.C.) calls Antandrus in the Troad Lelegian, but Herodotus (5th century) substitutes Pelasgian (q.v.).
- Gargara in the Troad also counted as Lelegian.
- Plutarch also implies the historic existence of Lelegian serfs at Tralles in the interior.
- These European Leleges must be interpreted in connexion with the recurrence of place names like Pedasus, Physcus, Larymna and Abae, (a) in Caria, and (b) in the "Lelegian" parts of Greece; perhaps this is the result of some early migration; perhaps it is also the cause of these Lelegian theories.Advertisement
- Curtius (History of Greece, i.) distinguished a "Lelegian" phase of nascent Aegean culture.
- For Strabo's "Lelegian" monuments, cf.
- - It is said to have been a Lelegian city before the Greek colonists settled in Asia Minor.