Leitmeritz sentence example
- Some miles lower down, at Leitmeritz (433 ft.), the waters of the Elbe are tinted by the reddish Eger, a stream which drains the southern slopes of the Erzgebirge.
- The Elbe is crossed by numerous bridges, as at KOniggratz, Pardubitz, Kolin, Leitmeritz, Tetschen, Schandau, Pirna, Dresden, Meissen, Torgau, Wittenberg, Rosslau, Barby, Magdeburg, Rathenow, Wittenberge, Ddmitz, Lauenburg, and Hamburg and Harburg.
- At Leitmeritz there is an iron trellis bridge, 600 yds long.
- Dresden, Aussig and Leitmeritz are all reminiscent of the fierce battles of the Hussite wars, and the last named of the Thirty Years' War.
- LEITMERITZ (Czech, Litomerice), a town and episcopal see of Bohemia, 45 m.Advertisement
- Leitmeritz is situated in the midst of a very fertile country, called the "Bohemian Paradise," which produces great quantities of corn, fruit, hops and wines.
- Leitmeritz was originally the castle of a royal count and is first mentioned, in 993, in the foundation charter of the convent of St Margaret near Prague.
- In the Hussite wars, after its capture by the utraquist, Leitmeritz remained true to "the Chalice," shared also in the revolt against Ferdinand I., and suffered in consequence.
- Over S o% of the whole area is under cultivation and the soil is in many parts very fertile, the best-known regions being the " Golden Road " round K6niggratz, the " Paradise " round Teplitz, and the " Garden of Bohemia " round Leitmeritz.
- To the Roman Catholic Church belong 96% of the total population; Bohemia is divided into the archbishopric of Prague, and the three bishoprics of Budweis, Käniggratz and Leitmeritz.Advertisement
- Jungbunzlau (13,479), Leitmeritz (13,075), Chrudim (13,017), Dux (11,921), Bodenbach (10,782), Tabor (10,692), BOhmisch-Leipa (10,674), Rumburg (10,382), Weipert (10,037).
- Leitmeritz >>
- This cleric, resisting certain measures taken by the great elector against the Lutheran pastors, fled the country in 1668 to avoid prosecution, and having been received at Prague into the Roman Catholic Church was appointed canon of Leitmeritz in Bohemia, where he died.
- To the Roman Catholic Church belong 96% of the total population; Bohemia is divided into the archbishopric of Prague, and the three bishoprics of Budweis, KÃniggratz and Leitmeritz.