Legio sentence example
- 45-- 55) a Roman legionary fortress, held by Legio XIV.
- The fortress of Legio VI.
- Roman bricks, dug up in the fortress, bear the inscription, Legio IV.
- The proconsul of Africa, in fact, had command of the legio III.
- One of the bronze plates which decorated the exterior of the war-chest of the legio III.
- 6, also a frequent residence of the later emperors; Sopianae (Fiinfkirchen), seat of the praeses of Valeria, and an important place at the meeting of five roads; Aquincum, the residence of the dux of Valeria, the seat of legio ii adjutrix.
- A series of three able generals commanded an army restored to its proper strength by the addition of Legio II.
- Jealous possibly of a too brilliant general, certainly averse from costly and fruitless campaigns and needing the Legio II.
- It was under a governor of praetorian rank, and the legio xiii.Advertisement
- It was garrisoned by the Legio II.
- It was one of the most important towns of Moesia Inferior and was successively the headquarters of the legio I.
- (Italica) and the legio XI.
- It was not until the reign of Marcus Antoninus that the Legio II.
- The ancient capital, Jezreel (Zerin), is now a miserable village on a precipitous spur of Gilboa; north of this are the small mud hamlets, Solam (Shunem), Endur (Endor), Nein (Nain); on the west side of the plain is the ruin of Lej j fin (the Legio of the 4th century, which was then a place of importance).Advertisement
- Others, especially the hill tribes of the Basque and Asturian mountains fringing the north coast, were still unquiet under Augustus, and we find a large Roman garrison maintained throughbut the empire at Leon (Legio) to overawe these tribes.